The Holy Cross Theological College ( then known as College of the Holy Cross) had a very humble beginning as a Bible school at Kyimindaing, a mission headquarters situated at the outskirts of Yangon at that time. It was the first Bible school that was opened in the Yangon Diocese in 1883 by the Rt Rev John Miller stranchen. Due to the lack of school teachers at Mission Headquarters at Kyimindaing, (Yangon) the Rt Rev R.S. Fyffe moved the school to Mandalay, and Myittha (upper Myanmar) in 1916. Then in 1924, it was moved back again to St. Michael’s Church, Kyimindaing which was the mission centre for Delta and Pyay areas.
The Yangon Diocesan Council decided in August 1929, that the Divinity School (as it was known then) should be made a proper institution with separate buildings and a full time missionary in-charge of it. This decision was materialized when the Divinity School was moved to Kokkaing situated at the eastern bank of Lake Inya where the new Bible school building was built by the Rt Rev Norman Tubbs in 1931. The foundation stone of the College of the Holy Cross was laid by the Metropolitan of the Church of the India, Burma and Ceylon, by the Most Rt Foss Westscott at the present site within the Holy Cross Church compound on 12 February 1934 with hostel facilities for ordained training. The new College building was completed within a few months and Bible school was moved to the facilities which were called College of the Holy Cross. The new College was consecrated by the Rt Rev G.A.West on 27 February 1935. The aim of the Whole venture was to educate and train indigenous ministers to meet the new conditions in Myanmar. The College was closed during WWII from 1942 to 1945. After the war it was reopened from 1946 to 1950. Again it was closed from 1950 to 1955 due to internal unrest. During the period it was opened as an interdenominational University students hostel. The College was reopened for ordinands in 1955 by the Rt Rev V. G. Shearburn.
All the foreign missionaries left Myanmar in 1966 including the Bishop of Yangon for good. Consequently, the Holy Cross Divinity College came under the care of the new indigenous bishop, the Rt Rev F. Ah Mya. On 24 February 1970, the Yangon Diocese became the church of the Province of Myanmar, Which was formed comprising four dioceses (namely Yangon, Mandalay, Hpa-an and Sittwe) out of the former diocese of Yangon. Accordingly, it became the College under the direct care of the province called the Church of the Province of Myanmar. On the 9th . Provincial Council held at Toungoo in 1984, a 10-year plan for a higher theological education was adopted with a view to conferring degree on trainees of both sexes, ordinands and Laity. Consequently, the B.th programme began in 1989. Starting from 1993 the college has been conferring the B. Th. Degree in consultation with the other theological institutions and members of the ATEM.
Holy Cross Theological College is a constituent member of the ATESEA. The Board of ATESEA approved the B.Th degree of Holy Cross Theological College on 3 March 1999. Holy Cross Theological College has drawn up a second 10 year Plan (2011-2020) at the occasion of the Diamond Jubilee celebration which was held on 27-28 February 2010. The college is starting to implement the improvement programme for B.Th. degree as proposed by the plan starting from 2011.
Rev. George Appleton (1934-1942),
Rev. Garrad (1946-1947),
Rev. George L. Tidey (1948-1950),
Rev John Maung Pe (1955-1966),
Rev Canon Stephen San Hoo (1966-1976),
Rev Samuel San Si Htay (1976-1990),
Rev John Wilme (1990-1994),
Rev Samuel Htang Oak (1994-1998),
Rev. Mark Saw Maung Doe (1998-2006),
Rev. Dr. Simon Be Bin Htu (2006-2010)
Rev. Dr. Samuel San Myat Shwe (2010-2018)
Rev. Dr. Paul Myint Htet Htin Ya (2018 – Present)
The Holy Cross Theological College (HCTC) has been nurturing the leaders and ordinands for the CPM since 1935. The primary mission of the HCTC is to train ordained and mission workers and future leaders of the CPM. To materialize the mission statement the main objectives fostered by the college are:- Discipleship –To make the true followers of Christ who serve the Lord and other people with full dedication and humbleness. Christian Education – To Impart academically and contextually sound knowledge on biblical, theological, historical, and social etc. essential for the service of God.
Mission - To carry out the Great Commission of Jesus Christ and shepherding of the folk.
Anglican Heritage – To uphold the Anglican identity and characteristics.
Leadership Development – To nurture leadership ability with high spiritual and moral standards.
Theological/ Anglican Studies
MOTTO: Obedience, Poverty, Chastity
140, Pyi Htaungsu Yeiktha street, Yangon, Myanmar (Burma)
Ph: +95 1 372 300
Email: [email protected]